St. Peter's Church in St. George's, Bermuda, is the oldest surviving Anglican church in continuous use outside the British Isles. It is also the oldest continuously used Protestan church in the New World. A UNESCO World Heritage Site (together with related fortifications), St. George's Town is the oldest surviving English settlement in the New World having been settled by the Virginia Company in 1612. Tge church was established immediately after the founding of the settlement. Bermuda is famously stormy, and it was necessary to rebuild the church more than once over the following century, the final structure being of limestone walls, with a limestone slate roof lain on a framework of Bermuda cedar. 2012 marks the 400th year since the founding of this church.
Many thanks to dear Jean-Pierre for gorgeous postcard and beautiful stamps from his trip to Bermuda!